About Maria Ryan
I grew up in
Cronulla. I know the area very well! I spent my Junior years learning music and playing netball followed by doing everything possible in performing arts in my teens.
Iíve worked for
myself mainly.I launched into my own business on my 18th Birthday running Dance Network Australia (formally known as Dimarco Dance Academy in it's early years). The primary Business was based in Engadine with three further studios in Connells Point, Illawong and Lilli Pilli. It was a very busy establishment with over 16 staff and hundreds of students. Choreographing for touring artists, Launches , Corporate Events, Children's Pantomimes and performing regularly myself, I also introduced the first professional cheer squad for the Cronulla Sharks and the Illawarra steelers Football Clubs.
I still direct my performing arts studio today but teaching is mainly at local schools in Cronulla choreographing their school musicals, wakakirri and their regular school dance groups. I also offer a more personalised range of after school performing arts classes in Cronulla.
I now devote time to enjoying my passion for real estate. Working in a number of local agencies over the past 4 years has allowed me to get a thorough understanding of the industry. I love combining my business knowledge with my creativity and passion daily.
My passion for working started young, which included a colourful range of part time jobs in my teenage years which included waitressing, hairdressing, retail, babysitting, tutoring and secretarial work....phew!
Crazy stuff Iíve done
- Taken a group of 20 dancers to perform overseas for a month on the west coast of USA
- Bought a long blonde wig with a fringe and wore it on alternate nights when on a P&O cruise in my "single young days"....hmm that did confuse a few people.?.?.
- Drove from Vancouver and through the Rocky Mountains in a mustang convertible with my 5 year old daughter singing Shania's "Man I Feel like a Woman....very very loud"
- Busked at circular key numerous times when I was 16 to raise money for an overseas dance trip.
- I was left to run the kitchen at Denny's Restaurant one morning when the cook had to go to the hospital in an emergency. I was the only waitress there, I was 17 and I struggled even turning on the grill let alone cooking the bacon, eggs and pancakes and bircher muesli.... didn't even know what that was!! Somehow I managed to cook and serve to the guests and raised a few tips also.
- STILL Dancing!
To have fun I
Hang out with friends and family, see theatre shows, movies and live music. Also love to travel.
- HSC at OLMC, Burraneer
- Qualified Dance Teacher F.A.T.D
- Dance Certificate 2 Sydney Dance Development Centre
- Licensed Real Estate Agent
- Sweet Home Alabama
- Love Actually
- The Hangover
- When Harry Met Sally
- The notebook
I love Cronulla because
of it's community base, it's beauty, it's variety of offerings from beach to superb dining and for me it's been home for a long long time.
What are your favourite places in Cronulla?
South Cronulla Beach, The Esplanade.
To challenge yourself and continue to grow in experience.To teach my children empathy and the importance of being more beautiful on the inside than out. The importance of having a vision or dream and just going for it.