Real estate mogul Barbara Corcoran recently said at a real estate conference that it takes a buyer, entering the first room of the house, only 8 seconds to get an impression of the home. There is really no room for error with an 8 second time span and it hits home how important styling and presentation really is.
Thinking of selling? How about doing the 8 second test on your own home. Is the first thing you see when entering your home a Brady Bunch gallery of family portraits? Is this what you are selling or are you selling the light, bright and spacious entrance foyer which you cannot see because all you are focused on is the faces staring back at you?
After you have done the 8 second test, go outside and get in your car. Drive around the block and then pull up out the front of your house. How’s the 8 second rule from the street? Some buyers will see your property advertised and then do a drive-by, will these buyers come back for an inspection? Or will they see the overflowing gutters and think too many trees equals too much maintenance?
Then maybe invite some friends over to do the 8 second test.
Did your property pass the 8 second test? Give Beach & Bay a call so we can provide you with a market appraisal and connect you with our network of stylists, cleaners, handymen and women who will ensure your home is presented to perfection and the maximum sale price is achieved.
The right agent and perfect presentation of your property sets the scene for a successful, stress free, financially rewarding sale in record time.
So, you have chosen Beach & Bay Realty and now here are some quick tips from Yellow House Interiors to assist in making your property market ready:
1. Clean and sparkle Make your property look polished and cleaned to perfection. Pay attention to details like skirting boards, light fittings, windows and walls. Giving your property an all over thorough clean will be an essential step in creating a property that people want to buy.
2. Colour correction Keep wild and wacky tones to a minimum and stick a neutral and subdued colour palette. Don’t forget that you want to appeal to a great variety of people and create a feeling of space in the property. A fresh coat of paint can change almost everything!
3. Family photos, be gone! Store and remove all personal objects and photos. Keep in mind that your property needs to attract buyers that want to move in NOW. Keep the styling fresh, simple and not over complicated.
4. Replace carpets Old carpet can be a huge turn-off. To achieve a higher selling price it’s worth replacing tired old carpet with new carpet in a contemporary hue that works with your paint colour and furnishings.
5. Hire furniture and accessories You can put this together yourself but if you really want to get the top dollars for your property then call in the professionals! Replace furniture and accessories with specifically chosen items that complement the property and aim to to make the property look it’s very best ready for sale.
6. Quick fixes Look at your property with fresh eyes. All of the small jobs that you’ve been putting off for so long need your attention before your property goes on the market. Make a list and get them done, you will be thanked for your hard work with interest from the market.
Yellow House Interiors can help you with all of your styling and decorating needs. Achieving the highest price possible for your property through beautiful styling and advice is what we do best! For more information go to www.yellowhouseinteriors.com.au.
The holidays have finished and the property market is heating up. If you are thinking of selling then now is a great time to get started.
First impressions count and styling your property for sale can be an important and lucrative advantage. At Yellow House Interiors we want to make your property stand out from the crowd and help you maximise your sale price.
Investing time into the look and feel of your property before sale can result in increased market exposure, a quicker sale time and the most important thing a substantially higher selling price!
Yellow House Interiors will transform your property using exceptional pieces of furniture and accessories, helping you create a unique and beautiful interior/exterior for your target market.
Well at least this winter, if you do decide to sell, you would be considered a savvy vendor.
Winter weather has been relatively mild with few rain days, so most properties are still very presentable. Traditionally people wait till Spring, but I stress traditionally because now it’s not just the weather that affects the sale price.I would argue that supply and demand is one of the major influences on property prices. In recent months in the Sutherland Shire and across Sydney open house numbers have dramatically increased, days on the market have significantly reduced and prices are on the up, up, up!
If you are thinking of selling, I ask you this question, do you think you will get a better price in spring when you could be competing with lots of properties in a similar price range but the flowers are blooming in your yard? Or do you think you will get a better price in winter, when there are just a few similar houses on the market and an abundance of buyers clammering for the same home, your home?!
And just to throw a spanner in the works this spring, we have a federal election. Every time there is an election, the few weeks either side of that date, (for whatever reason) buyer activity drops off.
No year is ever the same with economic and political circumstances affecting the supply and demand of the real estate market, but this year, most agents are seeing a shortage of good properties to sell and very competitive bidding from buyers.
HSBC this week dropped their 2 year fixed rate to 4.59%! Who would have thought a fixed rate under 5% was possible even 12 months ago! It is now cheaper to have a mortgage than pay rent for a lot of people in a lot of suburbs in Sydney. This will only encourage more buyers into the market this winter.
So if you are considering making a move this year, I would encourage you to do it right now!
Are you in the midst of a marketing campaign and struggling with the cleaning ritual involved with having your property spic and span every open house?
Here are some tips:
Have your window cleaner on call
Buy out the shelves of spray and wipe multipurpose wipes (if you have time to be environmentally friendly, kitchen and bathroom e-clothes and Enjo products are fab)
Make friends with your local florist, you will be buying flowers every week
Remember the washing machine, dishwasher, fridge and dryer are all good places to store things or even the boot of your car for last minute clutter
You can also have a shower the night before and clean the shower, skip your morning walk (no time anyway) and then skip the shower the morning of the open?!
Eat out, you won’t have time to clean the kitchen and you don’t want garlic infused leftovers permeating out of the fridge, plus the fridge will be filled with items you need to hide at the last minute.
Just think – you are living in a soon to be someone else’s home, divorce yourself of saying “my home” and think of yourself as a cleaner of a hotel… and if you can avoid sleeping in the bed even better, because re-arranging the pillows, cushions and remaking the bed every day is a drag.